Boulogne Eastern Cemetery
Boulogne was one of the three base ports most extensively used by the Commonwealth armies on the Western Front throughout the First World War. Until June 1918, the dead from the base hospitals at Boulogne were buried in the Cimetiere de L'Est, one of the town cemeteries, the Commonwealth graves forming a long, narrow strip along the right hand edge of the cemetery. In the spring of 1918, it was found that space was running short in the Eastern Cemetery in spite of repeated extensions to the south, and the site of the new cemetery at Terlincthun was chosen. Boulogne Eastern Cemetery contains 5,577 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.